Your kitchen is one of the most commonly used areas in your home, and between your morning coffee and the evening’s meal, it can also get messy. To avoid constantly navigating a cluttered kitchen, use these smart tips for keeping yours clean and well organized — even if you only have a few minutes to spare each day.
- Add a bin for loose items. If your kitchen countertops commonly collect things that are meant to go in other rooms, add a bin to corral those loose items. You can throw your keys, mail, and magazines in that bin to keep them from cluttering the counters.
- Install extra cabinet storage. If you notice that your cabinets just don’t work for the things inside of them, add extra shelves or temporary organizers. This will keep plastic containers from spilling out and enable you to make use of that extra space in tall cabinets.
- Hide the trash. Instead of leaving the recycling and trash cans in plain sight, tuck them away in a closet or cabinet to create a clean, tidy look.
- Store commonly used items on the counter. Add a large jar for everyday utensils, keep your most-used cookbooks handy, and even consider storing appliances like the coffeepot or toaster right on the counter.
- Purge the refrigerator. Once a week, go through your refrigerator and toss out any leftovers, check expiration dates, and give the whole thing a good cleaning.
How to Organize Your Kitchen [Real Simple]
24 Smart Organizing Ideas for Your Kitchen [Real Simple]
15 Minute Clutter Sweeps for Every Room in Your Home [About Home]
How to Organize Kitchen Cabinets [Better Homes & Gardens]